U.S. Service Academy Nominations
One of the great honors of a member of Congress is to recommend young people for a future of extraordinary service to America through attending college at a U.S. Service Academy, then serving in the military for at least 5 years. Congressman Palmer and the Academy Advisory Board review students' nomination applications, conduct formal interviews and nominate students who apply to the following U.S. Service Academies:
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
A nomination from your U.S. Congressman is one of several nomination options required for applying to a U.S. Service Academy. More detailed information can be found on our page Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Sophomore and Junior Year – Research requirements and majors for each academy; take standardized ACT/SAT tests until you have a competitive score; meet with cadets and alumni; tour the academy in person; train for the physical fitness assessment; and meet medical requirements by the Department of Defense. Consider attending an academy summer program.
September 11, 2018 – Academy Night is open to all students in the Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Grades who are interested in attending an academy from the sixth congressional district. The event will feature speakers from each academy.
Vestavia Hills City Hall
1032 Montgomery Highway
November 5, 2018 – Completed Application Packets Due to the District Office
December 4, 2018 – Formal Interview with Academy Advisory Board
January 2019 – Nominee Reception with Congressman Palmer
Nomination Application Packets should include the following:
- Recent Photograph of the Applicant
- Application (Part A Download HERE and Part B fill out online contact information below)
- One Page Resume of education, activities, leadership and service
- High School (and/or College) Transcript
- ACT/SAT Score Report
- Recipient code for the ACT: 7216
- Recipient code for the SAT: 1205
- Three Letters of Recommendation
Please contact the District Office at 205-968-1290 with any questions. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.