U.S. Service Academy Nominations
One of the great honors of a member of Congress is to recommend young people for a future of extraordinary service to America through attending college at a U.S. Service Academy, then serving in the military for at least 5 years. Congressman Palmer and the Academy Advisory Board review students’ nomination applications, conduct formal interviews and nominate students who apply to the following U.S. Service Academies:
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
A nomination from your U.S. Congressman is one of several nomination options required for applying to a U.S. Service Academy. More detailed information can be found on our page Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Sophomore and Junior Year – Research requirements and majors for each academy; take standardized ACT/SAT tests until you have a competitive score; meet with cadets and alumni; tour the academy in person; train for the physical fitness assessment; and meet medical requirements by the Department of Defense.
March – Students apply for summer programs at the academies and begin preliminary applications to an academy
May – Our office will receive applications from rising seniors
September 18th – “Academy Night” is open to all who are interested in applying
RSVP by calling our office at 205-980-1290.
November 6th – Completed Application Packets Due to the District Office
December 5th – Formal Interview with Academy Advisory Board
January - March – Applications due to each U.S. Service Academy
Nomination Application Packets should include the following:
- Recent Photograph of the Applicant
- Application (Download HERE or fill out below)
- 1-Page List of Leadership Roles, Extracurricular Activities, Work, Volunteering
- High School (and/or College) Transcript
- ACT/SAT Score Report
- Recipient code for the ACT: 7216
- Recipient code for the SAT: 1205
- Three Letters of Recommendation
To request a nomination from our office, please complete the form below and call to verify details with Margaret at 205-968-1290. This form is one of six items required for a completed application packet. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.