U.S. Service Academy Nominations
One of the great honors of a member of Congress is to recommend young people for a future of extraordinary service to America through attending college at a U.S. Service Academy, then serving in the military for at least 5 years. Congressman Palmer and the Academy Advisory Board review students' nomination applications, conduct formal interviews and nominate students who apply to the following U.S. Service Academies:
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
A nomination from your U.S. Congressman is one of several nomination options required for applying to a U.S. Service Academy. More detailed information can be found on our page Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Sophomore and Junior Year – Research requirements and majors for each academy; take standardized ACT/SAT tests until you have a competitive score; meet with cadets and alumni; tour the academy in person; train for the physical fitness assessment; and meet medical requirements by the Department of Defense. Consider attending an academy summer program.
Thursday, October 8, 2020 –
Academy Night – *Please note location and attendance changes for 2020. MASKS will be required.
Academy Night is open to all Sixth District students in the eleventh and twelfth grades who are interested in attending an Academy. Each student will be permitted to bring only one parent/guardian to accommodate social distancing. The event will feature speakers representing each Academy.
Vestavia Hills Civic Center
1973 Merryvale Road
Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
September 1, 2020 – Nomination Application Goes Live
November 2, 2020 – Completed Application Packets Due to the District Office by 12PM NOON CST
December 2020 – Formal Interview with Academy Advisory Board
January-February 2021 – Nominee Reception with Congressman Palmer
Nomination Application Packets should include the following:
- Recent Photograph of the Applicant
- Application (Part A Download HERE and Part B fill out online contact information below)
- One Page Resume of education, activities, leadership and service
- Certified High School (and/or College) Transcript
- ACT/SAT Score Report
- Recipient code for the ACT: 7216
- Recipient code for the SAT: 1205
- Three Letters of Recommendation (at least one must come from a current teacher)
Please contact the District Office at 205-968-1290 with any questions. Mail or hand deliver completed packets to the District Office by 12PM NOON CST:
Office of Congressman Gary Palmer
ATTN: Academy Nominations
3535 Grandview Parkway Suite 525
Birmingham, AL 35243