U.S. Service Academy Nominations
One of the great honors of a member of Congress is to recommend young people for a future of extraordinary service to America through attending college at a U.S. Service Academy, then serving in the military for at least 5 years. Congressman Palmer and the Academy Advisory Board review students' nomination applications, conduct formal interviews and nominate students who apply to the following U.S. Service Academies:
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
A nomination from your U.S. Congressman is one of several nomination options required for applying to a U.S. Service Academy. More detailed information can be found on our page Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Sophomore and Junior Year – Research requirements and majors for each academy; take standardized ACT/SAT tests until you have a competitive score; meet with cadets and alumni; tour the academy in person; train for the physical fitness assessment; and meet medical requirements by the Department of Defense.
March – Students apply for summer programs at the academies and begin preliminary applications to an academy
May – Our office will receive applications from rising seniors
September 11th – "Academy Night" will feature speakers from each academy, and is open to all who are interested in applying this year or in the future from the sixth congressional district
November 5th – Completed Application Packets Due to the District Office
December 4th – Formal Interview with Academy Advisory Board
January - Nominee Reception with Congressman Palmer
Nomination Application Packets should include the following:
- Recent Photograph of the Applicant
- Application (Download HERE or fill out online form with signature)
- One Page Resume of education, activities, leadership and service
- High School (and/or College) Transcript
- ACT/SAT Score Report
- Recipient code for the ACT: 7216
- Recipient code for the SAT: 1205
- Three Letters of Recommendation
To request a nomination from our office, please complete the form below and call the district office to verify details at 205-968-1290. This form is one of six items required for a completed application packet. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.