Military Academy Nominations - FAQ
Frequently asked questions for those seeking a Military Academy nomination. You may also fill out a Military Academy Nominations Form.
What is a nomination?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- Apply directly to the Vice-President of the United States
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 6th Congressional District of Alabama.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy
Who do I contact to request an application?
Please contact Margaret in the Birmingham District Office at (205) 968-1290 with questions regarding your application. You may complete the initial Application Form online here, or download and print the file here.
When do I apply for a nomination?
The nomination application period opens May 15th of each year for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated.
What is the deadline for completing a Nomination Packet?
The deadline for submitting a Nomination Packet to the Birmingham District Office is Monday, November 6th, 2017. Please contact Margaret at (205) 968-1290 for more specifics.
What must be included in my Nomination Packet?
A complete Applicant Nomination Packet should include the following:
- Application (online or written)
- High School (and/or College) Transcript
- ACT/SAT Scores
- One (1) Recent Photograph
- List of Leadership Roles, Extracurricular Activities, Work, Volunteering
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
What happens after I have completed my nomination file?
Applicants who submit a completed Nomination Packet will be in close communication with the Birmingham District Office, who will schedule you for an interview in December with the Selection Board of local leadership and U.S. Servicemen and women.
What criteria is used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
How many academies are there?
There are five service academies.
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the academy of your choice via the websites noted for each academy's particular admissions qualifications. It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the Coast Guard Academy, as the U.S.C.G.A. accepts candidates based on their own testing criteria.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
Some of the people applicants typically seek recommendations from include:
- Scout Leaders
A specific recommendation form is not required. A letter of recommendation is sufficient.
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year's pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
After Congressman Palmer issues his nominations to the Academies, it is incumbent upon the admissions team to follow up with the nominee. Academies offer appointments to nominees throughout the spring and until boot camp training in the summer. We encourage students to stay connected with their Academy field officers and admissions team, as well as the online application portal for updates. When Congressman Palmer receives an update on your status, you will be contacted by his office